RE: Problematic assignments for subpar reports via CVE request form

> Not to put the burden entirely on the messenger, but can't anyone (or
> at least a CNA like RBS) DISPUTE a CVE entry?  This would be the
> crowd-based approach, assuming some vendor CNAs don't notice or care
> about inaccurate CVE entries.

Yes... Art is absolutely correct on this point. See the CNA Rules v1.1
(page 22).
"Dispute: Validity of the Vulnerability is Questioned Not everyone
shares the same definition of a vulnerability. One person’s
vulnerability is another person’s security hardening opportunity, and
another person’s intended functionality. How does CVE deal with these
differing opinions?
When an authoritative source disputes the validity of the
vulnerability, “"** DISPUTED **” is added to the beginning of the
description, and a short NOTE is added to the end explaining why the
vulnerability is disputed. Ideally, the disputing party provides a link
that can be added to the CVE as a reference, and a quote that can be
used as the explanation in the NOTE. However, neither are required."

This is also consistent with the fail fast approach that has been
discussed many times in the past. If someone notices problems with
assignments, we can always correct and/or dispute them after the fact.

Carsten: If you would like to move forward and formally dispute the
referenced CVE entries, please let us know.

> We should encourage researchers to create reports that have a minimum
> level of quality and reliability in order to obtain CVEs.

Absolutely agree and we should have this discussion here. The CVE
program should always encourage a high degree of quality and
reliability. The program should also have a reasonable minimum level of
quality and reliability. However, we need to be careful about how much
is required. It's probably reasonable to assume that some researchers
might not bother obtaining a CVE ID if a PoC was added to the list of
requirements.

Additionally,  there is no guarantee that all of the information
provided to us at the time of assignment will be published or stay the
same when it is finally published by the requester.  Also, even if we
were given a PoC at the time of assignment, MITRE does not check the
validity of the PoC.

A couple of additional reasons the CVE team feels that there should be
continued assignments for Lin's requests:
- We are attempting to move the CVE Program to a federated model where
MITRE gets out of the business of assigning and creating CVE entries.
If we are talking about creating more upfront analysis of CVE requests
by the MITRE CNA, we would definitely be moving backwards from prior
discussions. It seems the better approach would be for the community to
speak up and dispute specific entries where they are questionable based
on real analysis.
- There is proof that Lin is coordinating with the closed-source
vendors, e.g., http://www.irfanview.com/main_history.htm says
"FPX/RLE/DJVU/ANI/SVG PlugIn loading bugs fixed (thanks to Lin Wang)"
-- even in cases where the vendor is not explicitly saying it was an
exploitable vulnerability.
- in the small fraction of cases where Lin works on Open Source, he
apparently is finding security problems that can be reproduced, e.g.,
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-14686

Regards,

Chris Coffin
The CVE Team